Thursday, May 10, 2007

Surviving One's Own Misplaced Ego

It was the penultimate episode of Survivor: Fiji tonight (not counting Sunday's two-episodes-that-are-really-only-one-episode as two episodes). Ooo, intrigue, game play, winning a truck, strategizing, whatever ... that's not why I'm mentioning it.

Let's talk Feigned Heroism, shall we?

For those who don't watch, part of the reward challenge was to take the aforementioned truck to deliver school supplies and a portable school office to a local school. Good. The kids and teachers there can surely use the stuff. Sure, it's a publicity-charity event, but hey, the students and teachers will still get stuff they need. What gets me, however, is the self-adoring false heroism of the contestants. You know what? You didn't make the gifts. You didn't buy the gifts. You didn't even choose them. You're just the pretty face to deliever them as part of your televised quest for a million bucks.

That said, I have to admit that Dreamz, of whom I'm not much of a fan, was kind of kind and gentle with those little kids, talking to them like real people (at least for the ten seconds we saw).

All of that aside, one must admit how enjoyable it is to have a fellow like Yau-Man still going at this point in the season. He's a funny little nerd-man, but here he is among the more athletic alpha-types and holding his own quite nicely. Heehee! I'd be more than happy to see him win the entire thing!

1 comment:

Johnny said...

I'm fine with Yau Man winning. I think he deserves it, but I'm rooting for Boo. 'Cause it would be fun to watch the little alliance implode.

With regards to your comments about the humanitarian swing the show took last night, I totally agree though. The contestants should be humbled by being allowed to participate in an act of kindness like that. Not acting like it was all their doing. On that note... snotty Stacy... I hope you learned something from the whole experience - enjoy your seat on the jury biatch!