Thursday, July 24, 2008

Random Road Trip Addendum

I realized that I had intended to discuss one other random observation from my trip and neglected to do so.

On my final day, I stopped for gas at a station in New York State and was a bit off-put by the store there. Call me crazy, but I think having a little cooler by the cash register filled with chilled single cans of beer labeled "Manager's Special: 79 cents each" is perhaps sending a message that is inappropriate. It's a GAS station, giving a person fair reason to assume that visitors are driving. Single cans for 79 cents, cheaper than a Coke, have a certain immediacy to them, don't they?

I was further disturbed by the presence of a display of "Beer Pong Balls". Seriously. They were labelled and signed as Beer Pong Balls, not just regular ping pong balls that buyers could ... um ... figure out a use for.

No comments: