Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Summer 2009 Reading Spectacular #4

Maxx Comedy: The Funniest Kid in America by Gordon Korman was, disappointingly, not very funny.

I am a Korman Fan, having read his books all through the 80s and still collecting them for my own enjoyment as well as for the class library. Sure, there’s a certain formula to many of his books, but it’s a formula that works, one that taps quite nicely into the humour of kids. I guess that’s why this was such a disappointment. It just plain wasn’t that funny. The “surprise ending” is not only 100% predictable, it’s also very anti-climactic. It’s not satisfying. It’s not even believable within the world of the book.

I can only wonder if this one was somehow churned out to satisfy a contractual obligation. You let me down this time, Mr. Korman, but don’t worry; I’ll return for more and continue to expect better.

No comments: