Sunday, August 29, 2010

Summer 2010 Reading Spectacular #6

With this entry, I will be completely up-to-date with the summer reading spectacular, and with not too much time to lose as there's only a week to Labour Day!

I picked up The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, and subsequently discovered it was the first in a trilogy, so now I'm playing the waiting game until the second book comes out, and then it'll be all about whether or not to get it in hardcover or to wait until it's in paperback to match the one I've got. But, I'll happily deal with those dilemmas, because I really enjoyed the book! Sort of a revisionist vampire thriller, I found it slick, smart, and entertaining, and I could certainly sense del Toro's visual influence in the writing, and wouldn't be surprised to find this is adapted into a film at some point. I'm always intrigued with co-authored works, and would love to know how that collaboration operates on a practical level.

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen (can anyone confirm for me exactly how his surname is properly pronounced?) was the first adult fiction I've read by him, having read Hoot a few years back. After her husband throws her overboard from a cruise ship on their anniversary, Joey Perrone doesn't die as expected and rather than going to the police, decides to seek her own revenge -- and get a few answers to her questions along the way. The book is witty, filled with quirky characters (the bulky and shockingly hirsute bodyguard, Tool, is such fun to read), and a well-paced plot. Enjoyable.

Finally, thanks to Sarah, I have received some very useful (?) advice thanks to The Recently Deflowered Girl, illustrated by the incomparable Edward Gorey. Ladies, have you ever been deflowered by a marimba player and been at a loss for the correct thing to say? Then you should have had this book on hand! Hilarious fun.

No comments: