Thursday, September 14, 2006

I'm Such a Spaz

All day long, I've been having tiny muscle spasms on the inside of my right arm, just below my elbow. It's that strange mix of creepy and intriguing. The kids were fascinated by watching it quiver now and then. (Right now it's going nuts.) It's been happening on and off now for more than 12 hours. Why do you suppose that is?

Well, according to Medline Plus, this could be "common and normal" nerve firing, which is kind of vague, or it could be a nuerological disorder, which is kind of alarming. WHAT?!?!

So, let's go down the list of potential causes, shall we?

Benign twitches (not caused by disease or disorders)
Often affecting the eyelids, calf, or thumb
Normal and quite common, often triggered by stress or anxiety


Hmmm. Nope. Not my eyelids, calf, or thumb. It's my arm. And let's be honest, wouldn't my years upon years of stress and anxiety have produced something by now? My entire body from tip to toe should be twitching!

A diet deficiency

Okay, I won't lie. I suppose that's a possibility, although another site specifically identified a potassium deficiency as a cause and I ate plenty of bananas in the past week.

Which brings us to:

Drug overdose (caffeine)
.

Curiously enough, I think I've had less caffeine than usual lately. Could I have a drug underdose?

Drug side effect (such as diuretics, corticosteroids and estrogens)

Again, I'm not thinknig this is an explanation. As far as I can tell, I'm not hopped up on estrogen, unless I'm starting to absorb it from the all-female staff I work with every day!

Exercise

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Maybe that leaves "neurological disorder", but I still have my suspicions that it's really best explained by "hmmm, isn't that odd?"

I'll let you know if it continues or grows out of control.

Finally, and basically for Keltie and her hair-fixation, here's a wee link.

2 comments:

Keltie said...

I love that link!

And I always get the weird twitch in my eye. Someone (I think it may have been La) told me that happens when nerves are dying.

I sure hope your nerves aren't dying!

Jerome said...

ME TOO!

I get the eye one and sometimes a little one in my thigh, but this weird crook-o'-the-elbow one was new and quite persistent. We'll see how it goes today.