Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Standards for Cashiers

On the way home from work, I decided to stop by ye olde grocery store. Like I often do, I talk myself out of doing "real" grocery shopping, instead convincing myself that I just need a few things to tide me over. Then I realize a few days later that I have nothing to eat.

In any case, among my purchases were two containers of honey. I bought a bottle of liquid honey and a tub of solid honey. Why? Well, I like each for different purposes. Runny honey is good for cooking or for using as a sweetener in tea (for guests -- I don't believe in sweetening hot tea) and such. Hard honey is my preference on things like hot toasted English muffins.

Then I went to the cashier.

Now, I should pause to say that I have nothing but respect for the grocery store cashier, so long as he or she is pleasant, capable, and chooses not to rant about politics using a great deal of foul language and without provocation. (Yes, that's another experience I've had.) In fact, as a youngster, I dreamed of being a grocery store cashier, though I think it had a lot to do with the apparent appeal of blipping things back when that was still a novelty reserved for the select few.

Be that as it may, today's cashiering professional paused and said, "Wow. This honey's solid. That's different. Is it better or something?" I won't even get into the fact that I had both types of honey on the conveyor belt, leading one to believe that perhaps I considered them different but equal. Inside my head, I was thinking, "You've lived on this earth for somewhere around two decades and you work in a grocery store and you were unaware of solid honey?" Out loud, I explained that I like them for different purposes as outlined above. Sadly, I think my explanation was likely lost on her, since by this time, she was looking over my shoulder at the cashier two lanes over, completely ignoring me, and asking her colleague, "So, does my hair look really stupid? Like, the colour. Does it really look stupid?"

Your hair? No. Your hair does not look stupid.

1 comment:

Keltie said...

mmmm. I agree that solid honey is yummy.

I'm surprised, though, that you didn't take the opportunity (in your weblog, not to her face) to snark on the cashier's hair a bit, too. You've been known for your hair-related animosity in the past.