Sunday, October 29, 2006

Ug.

This day must end.

No, really. It must end.

Let me give you the nutshell, quick-and-easy blow-by-blow of the day's lowlights.

First, as mentioned in an earlier entry, I was slated to put in a guest appearance as Wizard Whadzisname at pair of little charity shows today. My costume was to arrive with one of the other performers. So I was sitting there waiting. And waiting. And waiting a little bit more. At 12:15, a mere 45 minutes before the first show was slated to begin, I got the number of the aforementioned performer and gave it a call.

He was not home.

Fifteen minutes later (do the math -- just half-an-hour before curtain) he called me back with "Sorry, I just woke up. I won't get there for an hour." Yes. An hour. As in half-an-hour after curtain.

In a whirlwind, I drove madly back to my house, picked up a couple of my own costumes from other characters, raced back to the theatre, arriving at 12:55 to combine bits and pieces to create a replacement character, one Fredrick (with a long e, thankyouverymuch) Spitewhistle.

In the end, the other performer (and his character) never did show up with costume, character, or any word. You can imagine my level of impressedness.

Then I headed home, took a brief nap (far too brief for the way my day had gone and would yet go) and ran out to pick up a few grocery-like items to get me through the next few days before a planned marathon of paperwork which has been piling up from work for some time. I grabbed drive-through, so that I could scarf and get down to work.

I was about 30 seconds in the door (hadn't even brought groceries in yet) and the phone rang. It was Sarah, who works with me at job number one calling from job number two, the dinner theatre, where she also works with me, asking me to come in and work. It seems that the audience numbers had gone up and they were understaffed. Couldn't get anyone else. Please please please and all that jazz. So the paperwork sat (still in the back of my car, the groceries were in the front) while I drove in to work.

My drive-through? I ate it along the way, and they even messed that up, so it was a dissatisfying meal all around.

The dinner show went fine overall, but let's be honest, I'll be paying for it since I STILL have not caught up on the work in my car. Given that tomorrow I have:

a) crew photos in the morning; followed by
b) a production meeting just before lunch; followed by
c) an afternoon rehearsal; followed by
d) an evening rehearsal

it's pretty safe to say I'm not getting much done. Ug. My new plan is to stay after work on Monday until about 9:00 pm and just get as much done as I humanly can.

And you know darn well the director's going to make us do those cursed crunches, just to spite me.

Don't even get me started on the newly-scheduled rehearsal on Hallowe'en, right at candy-distribution prime-time. Yay. I can be the house on the corner that's not giving any candy out since I'll be IN REHEARSAL! Yeesh.

On the upside, about three minutes after I press "PUBLISH" on this, I'll be passed out in my bed.

Here goes...

************

Oh. I completely forgot to add that after work I dropped by ye olde Boston Pizza to grab a Spicy Perogie Pizza for Betsy and I to share and surprise! they got that order wrong, too. Today was simply NOT my day.

1 comment:

Keltie said...

Oh no! Has my curse transferred itself to you? Will you be doomed to suffer half-assed food service for the rest of your days?

I hope not. If so, I apologize.

Your day certainly was a crapfest. I hope that you enjoyed your extra hour of sleep thanks to DST!