Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Literary Update

I admit it. I'm avoiding work. I have scads to do, but just can't bring myself to do it. I'll go into work early tomorrow and get as much done as I can.

In the meantime, I'm going to do my darndest to get to bed early (which means before midnight).

I'm nearly finished reading The Book of Dead Days and must admit that I'm enjoying it overall. It's intriguing enough to keep my little mind interested, but not complex enough to be taxing. In other words, good for me these days. It's from the Children's/Young Adult section of the bookstore where I buy far too many things. And let's be honest. When the author is described in the following manner -- "By day he works in children's publishing and by night is the drummer in a rock band in Brighton." -- how could you not like him? Ha!

I'm also well into Something Rotten, an enjoyable romp in absurdist fiction. I set it aside, what with the business of life since in the past month, but I'm dedicated to picking it up and finishing it sometime soon. Again, when the book flap reads, "There is another 1988. Where purgatory is a motorway service station. Where dodos are very much alive, living in your potting shed, and called Alan. And where the future of the universe hands in the balance of a premier league croquet match..." you have pretty much got to be intrigued. Add to that other teasing phrases like, "First she has to get her job back following the infamous illegal cheese-smuggling incident" and you've got my attention. When I picked up this book on a whim, I didn't realize that it was fourth (I think) in a series, but I may just have to pick up the other three when I'm done. You know. To read. In my free time. Oh so much free time.

Finally, I was glad to arrive home today to find a package from Amazon waiting for me. (Why, you may ask, did I link to Chapters in this entry if I bought things from Amazon? Because, that's why.) It was my new Postsecret book, My Secret.

Adventures in reading all around!

No comments: