Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Consider Me Chastised

I knew it was going to happen. Sooner or later, I knew someone would give me a stern talking to about my lack of posting, and tonight it happened. So here I am. (If you're reading this, there's about a one-in-four chance that you were the one who chewed me out -- very summarily and with minimal malice, I should say -- so I hope you're happy.)

Suffice it to say, by way of self-defense, that I didn't want to be one of those people whom Keltie abhors who says, "I'm tired so here's my post saying just that."

The show opened this weekend and so far audiences are enjoying it, as far as I can tell. Tech week was a bit ... um ... rough at times, but we've managed to get it together. I have to say that the band for the show, who perform onstage atop a platform, are pretty much rockingly good. It was so great to have our first full-orchestra rehearsal just over a week ago and to feel the whole energy of the musical numbers jump up a notch or ten.

I'm also up to my eyeballs in paperwork and with deadlines looming quickly, the level of exhaustion is running a little high. (Hence be being tired.) It'll all get done because it must get done, but there's a further complicating matter.

Yes. Here it comes. The icing on the proverbial cake.

My parents are coming for a visit this weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I love my parents dearly. Really. I lucked out in the supportive parental front. But the catch is that, in the midst of being in a show and having enough paperwork to plug the hole in the ozone later, my parents are coming to visit. At my house. My house where I've been working madly for months now, always having some project or other on the go. I'm not exactly unpacked. Or well-organized. Right now, there's paperwork spread across the floor and coffee table in front of me. The office upstairs (I've moved onto the more-comfortable couch area for the past two days) is frightfully messy and has never been properly organized yet. I've only unpacked things as I've needed them, so the place still looks like I'm moving in... Yes, I've had to start the clean-up in honour of my parents' arrival. It's just rough timing for such things.

Of course, I could have a whole crew of disaster-relief workers come in and work around the clock until my parents arrive and they'd still say, "That's okay. We understand you haven't had time to clean."

Oh well. It'll be nice to see them. Plus, my dad's going to tune my piano, so that's a bonus.

Finally, before I sign off and mosey along, I've been offered the part of
Riff-Raff in The Rocky Horror Show, going up in February. I haven't officially said yes yet, but I reckon I will. It'd be fun, I am sure. It's a short rehearsal period and a brief run (though I'm a little concerned about doing two shows a night...) so it should be a mad dash of a project. It'll be performed in a tiny little theatre down here so it'll all be garters and fishnets right in your face. I'm not sure I'll invite my parents to this one...

Anyhoo, I'm off. Hope you're all well and that I'm well-forgiven.

(Edited to add: Okay, when I published this, it suddenly had all sorts of weird spacing issues from out of the blue. I've tried to fix them. If any slipped through, know I'm sorry and move on.)

4 comments:

Keltie said...

You know, when I said to you the other day that it must be difficult to keep up with my blog since I'm posting multiple times a day, I meant in the reading sense, not the writing sense.

It didn't occur to me until after we finished talking that it might have come across the wrong way. I hope it didn't. You're the crazy-busiest person I know.

And YAY for Riff-Raff! You must say yes. Good luck with the cleaning and parental amusing.

Jerome said...

Wipe that guilt off your sunny blogging face. You weren't the chastiser.

And then there were three...

Keltie said...

Oh, I know I wasn't the chastiser. I just hope you didn't take the thing I specified the wrong way (which I believe was on Monday night, or perhaps Sunday). OK?

Also, I have to come out of the closet: I'm a lsbgo

Johnny said...

And then there were 2 then, 'cause I don't bug anybody about blogging, but I'm a faithful reader of Dull Gloomy. ;)

Me thinks Jerome has a bigger following than he lets on.

yhnymab! It's a variation of my name.