Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Critical Thinking, Random

Okay, so I've been the most prodigal of writers as of late. Deal. I have.

I don't have much to say, other than the holiday rush is clearly upon me and I'll just scramble between now and the weekend and whatever's done by then is done and what isn't will just have to wait.

In the meantime, have you ever noticed that the same people who will drink nothing but bottled water at a restaurant (disdaining the tap water) don't seem to carry through their water-elitism in other areas? They may drink the soft-drinks the syrups of which are undoubtedly being mixed with that self-same tap water. They order the pasta which has been boiled in the tap water. They'll drink juices which have been packaged after being reconstituted from concentrate. (Who knows what water that is? I certainly don't know.) I'm not anti-bottled water, but I don't delude myself into thinking that it goes beyond that bottle.

Then there's the whole "straws wrapped in paper" thing. We know nothing of the environment in which they're wrapped. For all we know, they were dropped on the floor on the way to the wrapping machine by a sniffling, sneezing worker with open sores, but it makes us feel better knowing that at least that kid behind the counter didn't touch the thing! (Of course, the cups and the lids don't say "sterile" anyway, so what does it matter, anyway?)

My point? Beats the heck out of me.

No comments: