Tuesday, May 29, 2007

D is for Directors

So, I may have found a new television addiction to replace ... well ... pretty much everything that I watch now that the regular season has ended. On the Lot has captured my interest!

I was very grateful that this week, they actually showed all of the wee films (a mere one minute long this time) that the contestants made. Last week, we only saw a few of the entries, and not in their entirety, either. Very interesting and entertaining, on the whole.

There really were a few rather good wee films. My favourites? Danger Room, Dance Man, and Lucky Penny (while the latter was somewhat predictable, it was quite charming and the little old lady at the end was so darn cute).

The judges made me laugh. Carrie Fisher trying really hard to be kind, even when she wasn't impressed. Gary Marshall mentioning his sister at every opportunity, and talking endlessly about the "woman's point of view". Ha!

An interesting note: All three of the directors who got the boot this week? Directors originally from "overseas". Hmmm... I hope the American voting public doesn't realize that Vancouver isn't actually in America!

D is also for dates (which I was eating a moment ago), dance (like the recital I attended the other day), and "del Toro, Guillermo", the director of recently viewed movies for me, Pan's Labyrinth (sweet mother, what a good movie) and Cronos. I've also got The Devil's Backbone (which would be listed under "D" in alphabetical order) waiting to be watched.

5 comments:

Johnny said...

Upon your reference, I will now be watching Pan's Labyrinth at our earliest convenience. I've been wanting to see it, but your opinion cinches it.

Sadly... "On the Lot" is on the verge of cancellation. I haven't seen it myself, but I've read about it and the ratings haven't been promising.

Jerome said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerome said...

How can it be cancelled when it's a limited 12-week series. "Um, we were going to give someone a prize for this contest, but now we're not."

I will say that they started the show poorly by not showing the films they made in their entirety. This week, now that they're actually showing the films, it was FAR more interesting. I also think that it might be good for them to show the films without identifying the filmmakers, forcing the audience to vote based on films alone, not popularity of the "characters". In time, some may be able to identify their favourite directors' styles, but it would certainly work for more objectivity and mystery. Just my thoughts.

Johnny said...

I'd be curious to know if they will continue with the "process" of the show, and award a winner as planned even if it does get cancelled. The ratings for this week were abysmal and I read yet more talk of the show's demise.:( You should know by next week or sooner if it's going to continue.
A lot of Tammy's co-workers watch it too, so she's talked to me about how good it is.

Johnny said...

Could "E" be for elephants?
'Cause I love elephants.

hee hee