Friday, June 01, 2007

E is for Elephants

You know, it's oddly coincidental, but I was on my way to work today,
and I had just turned onto the highway when I saw that unwelcome glow
of red brake lights lined across all three lanes just ahead. I braked
quite heavily (having just gotten my wee vehicle up to highway speeds)
and stopped, creeping ahead from time to time as traffic allowed, until
I could at last see what the hold-up was. At the side of the road was a
convoy of about six vehicles -- trucks pulling livestock trailers. One
of the trailers was listing to the right (having blown a tire or axle ,
presumably). The back doors were dented and open, hanging freely on the
hinges, and there, in the middle of the highway was an elephant. (I
called upon my elementary school knowledge and judged, by its large but
not crazy large ears, that it was likely an Indian elephant). Yes, an
elephant in the road was the reason for my slow and arduous trip to
work.

If any of that were true, it would explain why today's entry is "E is for Elephants".

Do you remember Elmer the Safety
Elephant
? Oh yes, he's still around today, though his
presence doesn't seem quite as prevalent as he was back in the day.
There's a thrilling history of Elmer in there, though I desperately
wish they'd included pictures of Elmer's numerous incarnations. (The
current one tries a bit too hard to be youthful and fun.)

Keltie's mother is a big fan of elephants, for those of you who may not know. Why not send her something elephantine today?

David Bowie earned rave reviews for his portrayal of John Merrick in style="font-style:italic;">The Elephant Man, proving
himself to be a bonafied actor as well as musician.

Elephants can't jump, making White Men feel like they're in good company.

A favourite joke from Muppets Tonight: What do you get if you cross an elephant with a rhinoceros? Elephino! (Say it out loud!) Love that Pepe!

(Edited to add: Oh dear. Again with the weird spacing thing. My apologies...)

2 comments:

Johnny said...

That was entertaining to the extreme! (see, I thought I'd be clever and use "e" words.)

I love this post. But word might now get out that you take requests.

;)

Jerome said...

"Word might get out ..."

What, to all three of you?