Thursday, December 06, 2007

City on Fire

At long last, I was off to see Sweeney Todd on stage in Toronto.

Oh my amazing.

It's the National Tour of the Broadway production, which is innovative, to say the least. The most obvious step outside of the norm is that the actors are also the musicians on stage. Sometimes they sat on either side of the set (which is brilliantly simple in itself), flanking the action, but most of the time the instruments became part of their characters within the action. Wow.

Seated next to me was a group of women who seemed to be on a "ladies' night out" and I'm not sure they were quite prepared for Sweeney. At the end, they were trying to find a way to consider it a happy ending, and one was not very amused when I said, "Oh, oh. They're looking for a happy ending at Sweeney Todd."

I'm now looking forward to the movie which comes out ater this month, of course. It will be radically different from the production I just saw, but the show and music itself is strong to begin with, and with Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, and Tim Burton all involved ... well ... me likey the prospects.

Now, if only I could convince someone around here to mount the show so I could play the Demon Barber of Fleet Street...

Edited to add: Why would someone do this? Do they know what Sweeney's all about?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I am soooo in on that production! I would drive to St. Catharines if I had to just so I could play Mrs. Lovett!!!

P.S. It could be the worst story on Earth and I would STILL love any movie with those four!!! I can't wait!

Sean Newbury said...

LMAO! Nice ad... but seeing as there were no 'meat pies' on their "complete menu" I assume they really don't 'get' Sweeney Todd... 'cuase really that would have been a frickin hoot! I'd have gone all the way from Mtl just to order a pie! lol