Friday, December 28, 2007

Observations

In the many, many days since I last posted both much has happened and little has happened. I've been very busy, but little is particularly post-worthy.

I have, however, encountered some interesting individuals in my travels.

Encounter #1: Chatty O'Chatterson


Whist in a fine dining establishment known by the initials A and W, I found myself in line beside a fine fellow whom I have dubbed Chatty O'Chatterson. He found it necessary to expound upon the trials that the young woman behind the counter must be enduring having two trainees working under her tutelage. Of course, this sympathetic observation of his was truly a segue to mentioning that he'd been training individuals at work and that he was "looking forward to getting back to regular work at the computer". In truth, given how often and how intensely he persisted in discussing how "it's hard being the boss and in charge sometimes", methinks he was really quite taken with being asked to train others. My response: courteous levels of mild interest and periodic pleasant but non-committal responses.

Encounter #2: Divulging Donna

Shortly thereafter I found myself -- following yet another incident involving a non-dinging door, headlights, and the CAA -- I was patronizing a patriotic tire (and more) store, and found myself in line after a couple of young people (yes, I'm old enough to talk about being in line behind young peopl), shortly to be served by a young woman who clearly knew those before me. When I did work my way up to the aforementioned cashier with my booster cables, she proceeded -- without prompting, might I add -- to tell me about the awkward experience she had just had serving those youngsters since she used to date one of their member's brothers. My response: pay for the booster cables and supply courteous levels of mild interest and periodic pleasant but non-committal responses.

[Maybe I just have one of those faces that says, "Go ahead. Tell me all about it."]

Encounter #3: Dashing Donald and Smitten Sue

While awaiting service at yet another posh restaurant where they serve food -- though not burgers, mind you; they're very clear that they don't sell burgers -- in paper bags, I observed a funny little exchange between a fellow I've dubbed "Dashing Donald" and the server, "Smitten Sue" (though, to be fair, at the beginning of the exchange, she was merely "Soon-to-be-Smitten Sue"). It started when Donald kicked off the conversation with, "This is my first time here." WHAT? Who says that? "This is my first time here?" Maybe if you're visiting another country, a groovy and fashionable new nightclub, perhaps, but when visiting a fast-food restaurant? Well, have no fear, dear reader, for Sue quickly responded with a flashing smile and, "Then welcome to ****'s!" Then, just to show everyone else in the place up, Donald, whose Dashing qualities were quickly to reveal themselves, proceeded to order and inquire about the healthier options for his meal, right down to the low-fat dressings on the salad and milk to drink. Sue, who was approaching Smitten at the speed of light, was thrilled to engage in the conversation a little longer with the tall, wavy-haired stranger, listing options and *oops!* suggesting balsamic vinaigrette dressing which they don't actually have. "I guess I said it because it's my favourite! Teehee!" Subtext: "Wouldn't you like to get together sometime and enjoy a salad with balsamic vinaigrette with me? Maybe Friday night?" Much cuteness ensued until his meal was served ("Oh, I should have told you you could have also had your sandwich on a whole-wheat wrap!"). My response: I went and ordered my 5000 calorie, fat-filled lunch maybe just to spite them.

Oh, I also went and visited John and Ted, and it was lovely. They make me laugh, because they seem to be on "best bahaviour" when I'm visiting. I was very mellow and really quite dull, so I think they felt a lot of pressure to keep me entertained, but they surely should know that just hanging out and chatting with them is swell indeed.

IN OTHER NEWS, Keltie has inspired me... Watch for new developments starting January 1.

2 comments:

Sean Newbury said...

I'd like to see what you encounter at a Belle Province resto in La Belle Province... or god forbid a Lafleurs... Enough there I'm sure to make a movie of your experiences!

Sonya said...

At least you're able to double your investment by allowing your nurishment (if one can say that about Arby's...) budget to also act as your entertainment budget (and then in fact proceed to make it mine...)

P.S. What exactly is a "young peopl" anyhow?