Saturday, June 28, 2008

Summer Reading Spectacular #1

In the interests of posting on here more frequently, I've decided to write briefly about the books I finish reading in the next two months, up to Labour Day, if all goes well. One of the best things about summer is the chance to sit on my porch (my porch which desperately needs some work) with a cup of tea to read. I can't promise that I'll always post about a finished book on the exact day it's finished (or that I'll post about every book, period), but I'll do my best.

You'll notice a lot of children's and young adult books in the mix. There are many reasons for this (if you know me you'll not be surprised), not the least of which is that there's a lot of good stuff out there being written for young people.

And so, on that note, let me start off with...

Amulet: Book One -- The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi.

This is the first in a graphic novel series for kids. I'm trying to check out some kid-friendly graphic novels this summer (I'll be reporting on Bone at some point, I'm sure) and so I picked this one up on a whim. It's definitely intended for older kids, but I quite enjoyed it. The written text is sparse, making for a quick, visual read. It starts with a death (yeeha!) and features a rather emotional bunch of robots including one in the form of a pink bunny. How can you go wrong?

3 comments:

Sonya said...

OK, between books and reality shows, you're really trying to lose your most dedicated fan aren't you?

If you're not careful, I may have to find someone else to stalk instead...

Jerome said...

Look out world!

(I'm sure you'll stick around. I'll pop other things in here and there as well.)

Sonya said...

Wow, we're awfully confident that we've scored a stalker for life now aren't we?