Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Summer Reading Spectacular #4

Not long ago, I picked up a copy of The Black Pearl simply because it's by Scott O'Dell, renowned author of historical fiction for young audiences. He wrote the Newbery Medal-winning Island of the Blue Dolphins (his best-known work), Sing Down the Moon, and Thunder Rolling In the Mountains. In addition to the the Newbery Medal, he also earned four Newbery Honors (including one for The Black Pearl.)

So you can imagine why I wanted to read another Scott O'Dell book.

And about 30 seconds into reading it, I realized that I had read it years and years and years ago! Of course, back in those days, I had no idea who Scott O'Dell was.

A quick read, but satisfying. I didn't regret re-reading it in the least. It makes me want to reread John Steinbeck's The Pearl with which it shares some themes and several of its folktale-inspired elements.

No comments: