Monday, July 07, 2008

Summer Reading Spectacular #5

I've slowed down a bit on this, simply because my reading time has been down a bit. Go figure.

In any case, a few days ago, I finished reading Urgum the Axe Man by Kjartan Poskitt (that's right, he does have a great name). It's basically a little nonsense book for kids about the Last of the Barbarians. It took me a while to read it, not because it's long, challenging, or difficult to follow. It's just because it took a while for it to get my attention. It's a fine little bit of nonsense and it has some good moments, but for my money, check out Philip Ardagh for better work in a similar vein of humour. (Philip Ardagh is brilliant.) Kjartan must be doing alright with Urgum, though, because a sequel's already out there to be had. (He is also author of the Murderous Math series, which is about cool stuff related to ... well ... math.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool? Math? I'm sorry, I fail to understand how these two things can co-exist.

s

Jerome said...

That's because you didn't have someone like me for a Math teacher.