Thursday, July 23, 2009

Summer 2009 Reading Spectacular #10

Two more books finished today and four currently in the works.

Fist, I finished up the short novel Edward’s Eyes by Patricia MacLachlan, author of the Newbery Medal-winning Sarah, Plain and Tall. One thing that has always struck me about MacLachlan’s books is the gentle, sincere nature of the storytelling. She deals with emotion in a way that rings true without ever using it sensationally. One of my students had read Edward’s Eyes and told me I should read it, which I’m glad I did. It’s the sort of novel that my ten-year-old self would have loved, too.

I also finished the Michael L. Printz Award-winner How I Live Now, by Meg Rosoff. I went into reading unknowingly, basically having bought the book from the bargain shelves because it seemed vaguely interesting and had the Printz seal on its cover. I was pleased, then, to finally pick it up and start reading and to be sucked in quite readily. In a nutshell (and an overly simplistic nutshell this will be), the book follows Daisy, an American sent to live with unknown relatives in England, as she arrives in the countryside home of her cousins and quickly finds herself cut off from everything she finds familiar when the country becomes an Occupied Territory in the midst of War. The narrative voice is distinct, a big part of the book’s appeal. The storyline is engaging, affecting, and will have certainly (I’m sure) drawn the attention of the Southern States who are so much in love with making lists of books to ban. A quick, but satisfying read, it’s certainly one I’d recommend.

No comments: