Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Anatomy for Dancers

Having had my first dance rehearsal last night, I'm now being reminded of some things. Namely muscle groups.

Today I am ... aware of the work done in some areas, but I know that tomorrow will be far worse. Why? Because let's be honest, doing the types of movements that I was doing last night aren't all that common in everyday life. How often do I have to go from being slumbed over forwards with my hands on the ground into an arch backwards to lay across somebody else who is also arching backwards? How regularly do I walk with my arms flung back behind me and my feet far ahead of me, requiring that my beleagured abs support my upper body in this crazy position? Not often, that's how often. Even when I went to the gym and actually worked out, I'm not sure I worked as many muscle groups as I did last night.

Still, the choreography is going to be great (I've already warned my parents to be ready for it). I've also discovered that I'm the oldest dancer in the show (so soon?) so I figure I'd better not let myself be shown up by them youngsters.

Mercifully, I've got until Friday to recover before I'm back at it again...

No comments: